Resources from Consumers Union & Consumer Reports
Health insurance is a tricky purchase for most people and while the Affordable Care Act has made things much better, there’s still plenty of confusion. We’ve created a bunch of tools and fact sheets to help make sense of the hard-to-understand terminology, wide variety of options, new opportunities for coverage, and to address frequently asked questions.
These resources are backed by thorough consumer testing to ensure they truly help consumers get the answers they need.
Help with Shopping for Marketplace Coverage
Click on the topics below to get answers to your questions:
Tips for Shopping for 2016 State Marketplace Health Plans / en Español
Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum: How to Choose the Right Level of Coverage / en Español
Is My Doctor in a Plan? Why “Networks” Matter / en Español
Cost-sharing: What’s the Difference Between “Co-payment” &“Co-insurance”? / en Español
Confused about coverage options?
- Learn how to decipher insurance plan options with the Summary of Benefits and Coverage, a new form everyone with insurance should know about
- Get help understanding insurance concepts like co-pays, deductibles, and how to use your insurance
Need more info about tax credit discounts for health insurance and new tax requirements?
- Find out how to report your income when getting signed up for coverage (pdf) / en Español
- Learn what you’ll need to do at tax time to get tax credits for health insurance(pdf) / en Español
- Understand what tax reconciliation may mean for your tax returns (pdf) / en Español
Frustrated by the cost of healthcare and want to learn more?
- Check out our infographics series and resources on reining in healthcare costs