Tips to Avoid Fraud While Shopping for a Medicare Drug Plan
The choice of drug plan is too important and too complicated to be decided over the phone. You can avoid telemarketing calls by signing up for the Do Not Call Registry by going to www.DoNotCall.gov or calling toll-free, 1-888-382-1222, from the phone number you wish to register. Registration is free.
Also know that:
- No one can come to your door uninvited to sell you a plan.
- No one can ask you to enroll before Nov. 15.
- No one can ask you for personal information during their marketing activities.
- Always keep all personal information, such as your Medicare number, safe, just as you would a credit card or a bank account number.
- Never give out personal information, such as a Social Security number, until you are certain that the person or product is approved by Medicare.
- Whenever you have a question or concern about activity, call 1-800-MEDICARE.
- If you suspect fraud, you can also call your local law enforcement agency or the Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General at 1-800-HHS-TIPS.