Welcome to Consumer Reports Advocacy

For 85 years CR has worked for laws and policies that put consumers first. Learn more about CR’s work with policymakers, companies, and consumers to help build a fair and just marketplace at TrustCR.org

What to do if your home is not built to code

States with Local Enforcement
In most states, the code enforcement process is handled by the local building department. The easiest way to find the contact information for your city’s Building Department is to do an online search. All information should be on your city’s website. Below is a complete list of the states who deal with enforcement at the local level.

Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin

States with State Enforcement

All complaints should go through the Secretary of State’s State Licensing Board for Residential and General Contractors at (478)207-2440.

Complaint and enforcement process is dealt with by the local building department. However, local jurisdictions only have authority when they have proper government entities, usually only in cities and large town. The Bureau enforces the Energy Code in more rural areas. Their Energy Hotline is (877)449-9362.

Complaints dealing with residential violations of energy provisions of the building code are handled through the Louisiana State Uniform Construction Code Council. Complaint form is here. More information about complaint reporting is here.

All complaints/enforcement process are dealt by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). Complaint instruction can be found here.

All building-energy code violations issues are dealt through the Codes and Construction Licensing Department.

All complaints go through the MS Board of Contractors. Click here to file a complaint online.

All complaints go through the Attorney General’s Office. Click here to file a complain online.

All complaints are dealt by Building Codes Bureau at (406)841-2053.

All complaints are dealt by the Building Codes Department at the Nebraska Energy Office. Any complaint/enforcement process can start at a local level, but in any case, complaints can be directly sent to the state department first.

All complaints against builders who violate state building energy codes are dealt by Nevada State Contractors Board. Instructions and forms can be found here.

New Jersey
Building code complaints, including energy provisions are dealt at the local level. For complaints on home remodeling, contact the Consumer Affairs- Division of Law and Public Safety Enforcement at (973)504-6534. For complaints on brand new homes, contact the Home Owner Protection at (609)904-7909.

New Mexico
For all complaints, you have to fill out a complaint form. It can be mailed to you when you called the number above or printed online. Forms can be found here under the File a Complaint tab on the left hand side.

All complaints/enforcement process on building codes are dealt by the Board of Building and Standards -Ohio Department of Commerce.

Consumers can either file a complaint form or contact the appropriate local jurisdiction to file complaints.

Rhode Island
All complaints/enforcement process on building codes are handled by the Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board.

Complaints are handled by the State of Tennessee, Department of Commerce and Insurance, Division of Fire Prevention – Residential Building Code Enforcement at (615)741-7170.